Central Iowa (Des Moines-Ames) Chapter
Des Moines, IA 50309
The Central Iowa chapter of American Pilgrims serves the central Iowa area, including Des Moines and its neighboring communities, and extending north to Ames.
The purpose of local chapters is to keep members connected to the Camino and to introduce new people to the phenomenon. We plan to accomplish this in a number of ways:
• Offering opportunities for local pilgrims to gather for social events, monthly hikes, and Camino-inspired activities
• Mentoring future pilgrims
• Promoting the pilgrimage and American Pilgrims through educational programming
• Serving as a local host for hospitalero training in Iowa
Contact chapter coordinator Dawn Bratch-Prince via email for more information.
• To be added to the chapter's email list, or for more information about the chapter and its activities or about membership in American Pilgrims, contact us at CentralIowa@americanpilgrims.org.
• You've arrived! You have your compostela, you've attended the Pilgrims' Mass and you've hugged the Saint. Now what? You need to read this blog entry by the venerable Johnnie Walker 20 Things to See and Do in Santiago de Compostela and learn what to do next!
• There are a thousand and one packing lists out there but this packing list is our take on the topic.
The chapter schedules walks, talks, potlucks and much more!
To see what we’re doing, please visit the Local Chapter Events Calendar and select our chapter name in the "All Events Category" pull-down menu. This will filter to display only our chapter's events.
Follow this link to view the Local Chapters video on YouTube.
Chapter events will be scheduled well in advance and will be also be posted in our Facebook group (Central Iowa Chapter).
Email us at CentralIowa@americanpilgrims.org to find out what we're doing!
Are you interested in learning more about the Camino?
Consider joining the American Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook group for great dialogue, Q&A, photos and a running commentary about the Camino from like-minded pilgrims.
The Central Iowa Camino Mentor Program can pair individuals who have questions about their upcoming Camino with a nearby veteran who can answer questions. Contact CentralIowa@americanpilgrims.org for details. Experienced Camino walkers and cyclists who would like to serve as mentors should contact us so that you can be added to our resource list. Potential mentors should provide us with your name, ZIP-code and a brief rundown of your experience including walking or cycling, which route and when.