NEWSLETTER "LA CONCHA"
Welcome to “La Concha,” the quarterly newsletter of American Pilgrims on the Camino. You’ll find interesting news about the national organization, activities that our chapters sponsor and updates about the Camino de Santiago. You’ll also find member-submitted essays, photographs, art and poetry about their Camino experiences. We also regularly publish book reviews, recipes and more. Each issue is emailed to members only.
The theme for the next issue is Gratitude, one of our organization's values.
How do you practice this value in your life? in your chapter?
Please review our submission guidelines below before sending us your item.
The submission deadline for the next issue is Nov. 21, 2019.
Whether you are an oft-published author or will be seeing your writing and name in print for the first time,
we want to hear from you!
We welcome your submissions as well as your questions and comments via email.
- A poem, song or blessing reflecting a pilgrim’s perspective;
- A special photograph or original artwork;
- A Camino recipe
- A work of research or scholarly observation;
- A book, video or CD review;
- Camino-related activities in your part of the country;
- Money-saving tips and practical advice on packs, clothing or medical issues; or
- Vignettes or nuggets of information, even if only a few sentences.
Submission guidelines for “La Concha”
We are volunteer editors eager for your newsletter submissions. Please read these guidelines carefully to save yourself—and us—work:
What we accept:
1) Material from current members of American Pilgrims only. If you want to submit your work and your membership has lapsed, please renew. Make sure you include your town/city and state of residence with your submission.
2) Work submitted as a Microsoft Word document. If you don’t have access to Microsoft Word, please contact the editors through firstname.lastname@example.org for other options.
3) Articles with a 400-word maximum, with one exception: We may include one tightly written article of up to 800 words in each issue. If more than one submission meets that 800-word criteria, we will select one and hold others for future consideration.
4) Links to a website or video with your submission if these do not have commercial content.
5) Up to three photos with your article that follow these specifications. Please ensure that the photos are the correct size. We cannot run images that are too small.
a) Format: 300 dpi, JPEG or TIFF image files. We cannot use PDF files or photos embedded in a Word document.
b) File sizes must be between 500 KB and 2 MB.
c) Photos should include the following information:
- Photographer’s name.
- Photo location and date, even if you are only sure it was between places X and Y and, for example, in the spring of a certain year.
- Identity of people in the photo (please specify “from left to right” or “from top to bottom”), unless it is a group photo. If that’s the case, don’t list all the names.
d) Photos that stand alone, without an accompanying article, are limited to two per submission. They must meet the size specifications listed above.
What we cannot accept:
- Submissions that are promotions or advertisements.
- More than two stand-alone photos in one submission.
- Photos embedded in Word documents.
- Submissions as PDF files.