The Austin chapter of American Pilgrims serves central Texas centered on Austin.
The purpose of local chapters is to keep members connected to the Camino and to introduce new people to the phenomenon. We plan to accomplish this in a number of ways, such as social events, walks, mentoring future pilgrims and serving as a local host for hospitalero training through American Pilgrims.
- To offer opportunities for local pilgrims to gather and hold events related to the Camino.
- To mentor future pilgrims, promote the pilgrimage and American Pilgrims through social gatherings.
- To serve as a local host for hospitalero training in the central Texas region.
Contact chapter coordinators Denise Palma and JoAnn Carreon-Reyes via email for more information.
- You've arrived! You have your compostela, you've attended the Pilgrims' Mass and you've hugged the Saint. Now what? You need to scan through this blog entry by the venerable Johnnie Walker: 20 Things to See and Do in Santiago de Compostela for what to do next!
- There are a thousand and one packing lists out there, but this packing list is our take on the topic.
The chapter will be scheduling walks, talks, potlucks and much more!
Our Chapter activities vary depending on the month. Typically we have one or two activities per month that could include a walk on Lady Bird Lake, a Happy Hour gathering at either Central Market South or North location and a presentation of Camino Basics 101 at the REI Downtown or REI North.
To see what we’re doing, please visit the Local Chapter Events Calendar and select our chapter name in the "All Events Category" pull-down menu. This will filter to display only our chapter's events. The chapter also has its own Facebook group which is another way to see what's going on and to connect with local pilgrims.
Of course you can always contact us through Austin@americanpilgrims.org to find out what we're doing!
Are you interested in learning more about the Camino?
You can join the American Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook group for great dialogue, Q&A, photos and a running commentary about the Camino from like-minded pilgrims.
The Austin Chapter Camino Mentor Program can pair individuals who have questions about their upcoming Camino with a nearby veteran who can answer questions. Contact Austin@americanpilgrims.org for details.
Experienced Camino walkers and cyclists who would like to serve as mentors should contact us so that you can be added to our resource list. Potential mentors should provide us with your name, zip code and a brief rundown of your experience including walking or cycling, which route and when.
For information about the chapter and its activities or about membership in American Pilgrims, contact us at Austin@americanpilgrims.org.