The Raleigh Chapter of American Pilgrims serves the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), Triad (Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem), Sandhills and eastern/coastal regions of North Carolina.
As a chapter of the American Pilgrims, our mission is to foster the enduring tradition of the Camino
- by supporting the Camino’s infrastructure,
- by gathering Camino pilgrims together, and
- by providing information and encouragement to past and future pilgrims.
Our Chapter furthers this mission in a number of ways, including:
- bi-monthly informational gatherings;
- bi-monthly hikes;
- social events (including Camino café coffee gatherings and potlucks);
- mentoring for those who will be walking the Camino;
- shell ceremonies for departing pilgrims and recognition of returning pilgrims;
- networking with other past and future pilgrims;
- publishing a monthly newsletter;
- maintaining a Facebook group; and
- maintaining a lending library of Camino resources.
Our bi-monthly chapter meetings are held at Hudson Memorial Presbyterian Church (4921 Six Forks Road, Raleigh, NC 27609), at 7:00pm on the third Monday evening of January, March, May, July, September and November. Chapter hikes in and beyond the Raleigh area are offered on the third Saturday morning of February, April, June, August and October.
Chapter meetings and events are open to anyone who is interested in learning more about the Camino or is planning to walk the Camino, regardless of whether you choose to become a member of American Pilgrims (although we of course heartily recommend doing that!)
If you have questions or need more information, please email the Chapter coordinators (Robert Demody and John Saxon) at Raleigh@americanpilgrims.org.
Under American Pilgrims' insurance guidelines, dogs are not allowed on our group hikes. Naturally, certified service dogs are always welcome.
The chapter schedules walks, talks, potlucks, maintains a lending library of Camino-related books and much more!
To see what we’re doing, please visit the Local Chapter Events Calendar and select our chapter name in the "All Events Category" pull-down menu. This will filter to display only our chapter's events.
Follow this link to view the Local Chapters video on YouTube.
if you're on Instagram, follow us: APOCRaleigh.
Are you interested in learning more about the Camino?
Consider joining the American Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook group for great dialogue, Q&A, photos, and a running commentary about the Camino from like-minded pilgrims.
If you are thinking of walking the Camino and are interested in learning more, we can pair you with an experienced pilgrim who can answer your questions on how to prepare and what to expect. Just email us and ask to be connected with a mentor.