The Raleigh Chapter of American Pilgrims serves the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill), Triad (Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem), Sandhills and eastern/coastal regions of North Carolina.
As a chapter of the American Pilgrims, our mission is to foster the enduring tradition of the Camino
- by supporting the Camino’s infrastructure,
- by gathering Camino pilgrims together, and
- by providing information and encouragement to past and future pilgrims.
Our Chapter furthers this mission in a number of ways, including:
- bi-monthly informational gatherings;
- bi-monthly hikes;
- social events (including Camino café coffee gatherings and potlucks);
- mentoring for those who will be walking the Camino;
- shell ceremonies for departing pilgrims and recognition of returning pilgrims;
- networking with other past and future pilgrims;
- publishing a monthly newsletter;
- maintaining a Facebook group; and
- maintaining a lending library of Camino resources.
We currently meet at the REI Store in Cary (1751 Walnut Street, Cary, NC 27511) at 7:00 PM on the third Monday evening of January, March, May, July, September and November and lead hikes in and beyond the Raleigh area on the third Saturday morning of February, April, June, August and October.
Chapter meetings and events are open to anyone who is interested in learning more about the Camino or is planning to walk the Camino. (Regardless of whether you choose to become a member of American Pilgrims although we of course heartily recommend doing that!)
To learn more about the chapter and upcoming chapter events, please sign up for our monthly newsletter: bit.ly/raleighcamino
If you have questions or need more information, please email the chapter coordinators (Martha Hayes, John Saxon and Ed Baumann) at Raleigh@americanpilgrims.org.
As of March 2017, under American Pilgrims' Insurance Guidelines, dogs are not allowed on our group hikes. Naturally, certified service dogs are always allowed.
Email us at Raleigh@americanpilgrims.org to find out what we're up to!
The Chapter's event schedule for 2019:
Contact us through Raleigh@americanpilgrims.org for details.
September 16, 2019--Meeting
October 19, 2019--Hike
November 18, 2019--Meeting
December 14, 2019--Annual Brunch
Bi-Monthly Meetings - 3rd Monday of the Month at the REI Cary Store; 7:00-8:30 PM
Bi-Monthly Hikes - 3rd Saturday of the Month at local trails
Are you interested in learning more about the Camino?
Consider joining the American Pilgrims on the Camino Facebook group for great dialogue, Q&A, photos, and a running commentary about the Camino from like-minded pilgrims.
If you are thinking of walking the Camino and are interested in learning more, we can pair you with an experienced pilgrim who can answer your questions on how to prepare and what to expect. Just email us and ask to be connected with a mentor.