The regional chapter for Northern California, centered on the San Francisco Bay Area, was established in January 2011. Our purpose is to keep members connected to the Camino and to introduce new people to the phenomenon. For more information, contact chapter coordinators Guy Joaquin and Laurie Ferris at NorCal@americanpilgrims.org.
We schedule monthly hikes and walks, potlucks, intro to the Camino presentations, special talks, and more.
- Here is a list of our upcoming, announced events
- For all of our events, including those planned, see our full schedule of events
Browse our email campaign archive for past announcements and to subscribe to our chapter mailing list. Join our chapter Facebook group to stay up-to-date and learn about other events happening beyond our chapter.
Our monthly Lake Merritt Walks in Oakland on the first Saturday of the month continue to be on hold.
"Camino 101" Videos
- Packing & Gear
- Camino Francés
- Camino Portugués Coastal
- Camino Portugués Coastal with Spiritual Variant
- Camino Primitivo
- The Knights Templar and Their Legacy
- Whether an Outer Pilgrimage or an Inner One - St. James Leads the Way
- Kumano Kodo (Japan)
- Returning Home: The Journey Continues
- Injury Prevention Tips for the Camino: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
For more videos, visit our chapter YouTube channel. "Hit the subscribe button" and never miss out on our latest content!
- Getting Started on the Camino de Santiago
- Introduction to the Ways of "The Way"
- Camino Packing Guide
- Injury Prevention Tips for the Camino
- Basic Spanish for the Camino (rev. 2021)
- Helpful Camino Websites
- Leave No Trace: Ethics for the Camino
Our 2018 Welcome Home Potluck included a presentation on "Returning Home: The Journey Continues."
Our 2017 Welcome Home Potluck included slide presentations on Camino routes “Beyond the Francés."
- Camino Inglés
- Camino Primitivo
- Camino Portugués (Coastal)
- Le Puy, France
- Via de la Plata
- Camino Aragonés
- Caminos Norte & Primitivo
As a benefit of American Pilgrims membership, current chapter members are welcome to borrow items from our library for free. Our collection includes 25+ books, 10+ films, games and a Camino map. Go to our chapter library request page to see what's available and for info on how to check out items.
Our popular t-shirts with our chapter stamp design on front and Latin quote Solvitur ambulando (It is solved by walking) on back are available for purchase at our online storefront.
If you're thinking of walking the Camino and are interested in learning more, we can pair you with an experienced pilgrim who can answer your questions on how to prepare and what to expect. Email us at NorCal@americanpilgrims.org.
Member Blogs and Websites
Laurie Ferris maintains a blog dedicated to planning for the Camino and sharing stories about the pilgrim's journey. In addition, she publishes a curated Camino events and hikes roundup every month.
San Franciscan Mike Miller has written a blog about his Camino experiences on the Portugués, Francés, Primitivo and Finisterre.