Due to the coronavirus/COVID-19 situation, we have cancelled this event in the interest of health and safety with the hope that we can reschedule it for later this year.
Leaving soon on your Camino and need to learn some Spanish basics? Or perhaps you already know some Spanish and just need a refresher and some practice? In any case, here is a great opportunity to increase your awareness of the Spanish language and to prepare for your Camino and the transition into Spanish culture.
These are not formal language classes. Rather, they will be meetings in which we will focus on the language challenges that, as a pilgrim, you are likely to encounter on the Camino. While we will talk about culture, history, food, wine and many other day-to-day aspects of Spanish life, our objective will be to increase your language skills. Familiarity with the Spanish spoken in Spain will make the cultural transition easier for you and ultimately pay off with more satisfying human interactions along the Camino. Our meetings will be informal, in a comfortable home nestled in the redwoods of Occidental, and geared to making the review of Spanish an enjoyable experience. Light refreshments will be available to enhance this learning experience.
- Teacher: Kelly Bates will lead the classes. Kelly is a retired high school Spanish teacher, is fluent in Spanish, has walked the Camino, and will focus on Castilian Spanish, the Spanish you can expect to hear along the Camino.
- When: Three consecutive Saturdays (April 4, 11 & 18) from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
- Where: Kelly’s home in Occidental (address will be sent by email in the week prior to the first meeting).
- Space: Class size is limited to 12 participants, with priority given to those who can commit to attending all 3 meetings.
- Class Text: The information used during the class (including exercise dialogues, information about eating in Spain, a list of dishes commonly found on Spanish menus and an extensive vocabulary specific to the Camino) will be available to participants in a printed and bound booklet. A $10 contribution is requested to cover the cost of printing (bring to first class).
- Membership: As a member benefit, we are first accepting registrations from paid American Pilgrims members only. Membership in our Facebook groups and/or being on our chapter email list does not automatically confer membership in American Pilgrims. Please be sure that your membership is current BEFORE registering so that you are listed in the member database. Go to our membership page to join, renew or check your account status/look up your account number (have it on hand to register). Send membership questions to email@example.com. If space is still available by the week of March 16, registration will be open to all.
- Sign-Up: Click the Register button above to our online registration page.