Our shared hope is that the Camino de Santiago will soon be open and safe to walk. If you are preparing for your Camino later this year, these next few months of shut-down due to the Covid-19 pandemic may be the perfect time to learn and practice your Spanish. If you know very little Spanish or perhaps want a refresher and some practice, then our Basic Spanish for the Camino may be the right class for you.
Because of the pandemic, these will not be in-person classes. Rather, they will be Zoom meetings in which we will focus on the language challenges that, as a pilgrim, you are likely to encounter on the Camino. We will talk about culture, history, food, wine and many other day‑to‑day aspects of Spanish life, with the objective of increasing your language skills. Familiarity with the Spanish spoken in Spain will make the cultural transition easier for you and ultimately pay off with more satisfying human interactions along the Camino. Our meetings will be informal, comfortable and geared to making the review of Spanish an enjoyable experience.
- Teachers: Emilio Escudero and Kelly Bates will lead the classes. Both are fluent in Spanish, have walked the Camino and know the culture well. Emilio will focus on Castilian Spanish, the Spanish you can expect to hear along the Camino. Emilio is an active participant in the NorCal chapter and a former board member of American Pilgrims on the Camino. Kelly is a newly retired high school Spanish teacher and passionate about all things Camino. She will guide the supplemental Spanish language practice sessions.
- When: Four consecutive Sunday afternoons (March 7, 14, 21 and 28) from 1:30 to 3:30 PM. Supplemental Spanish language practice sessions will be held on subsequent Mondays (March 8, 15, 22 and 29) from 4:00 to 5:00 PM.
- Where: Links to the Zoom meetings will be sent once registration is confirmed. Reminders for the individual meetings will be sent a few days before each meeting.
- Cost & Requirements: There is no charge for taking the class and no prior knowledge of Spanish is required. Class size is limited to a total of 25 participants. Priority will be given to those who are members of American Pilgrims on the Camino and can commit to attending all 4 meetings.
- Text: The information used for the class (including exercise dialogues, information about eating in Spain, a list of dishes commonly found on Spanish menus and an extensive vocabulary specific to the Camino) will be provided as a PDF document once registration is confirmed.
- Membership: As a member benefit, we are first accepting registrations from paid American Pilgrims members only. Membership in our Facebook groups and/or being on our chapter email list does not automatically confer membership in American Pilgrims. Please be sure that your membership is current BEFORE registering so that you are listed in the member database. Go to our membership page to join, renew or check your account status/look up your account number (have it on hand to register). Send membership questions to email@example.com. If space is still available by the week of February 21, registration will be open to all. If needed, we will maintain a waiting list.