Ithaca, NY: Finger Lakes Chapter, Green Lakes State Park
Sep 19, 2020 9:30AM—2:00PM
Green Lakes State Park, Fayetteville. The park has two entrances. NY 290 and NY 5/92. The entrance off of 290 is closer to the parking lot by the beach, which is where we will meet.
Event Contact Jana Hexter or Nancy Holzner | Email
Categories Finger Lakes
Join us for a hike at Green Lakes State Park in Fayetteville NY, on the outskirts of Syracuse! We will weave our way through a bunch of smaller trails for a total of approximately 9 miles. We will start by doing one side of Green Lake, continue to the back of Round Lake, go up to the higher ground via the Power Line trail. Meandering through the peripheral trails at the higher elevation we will start heading back taking the Rolling Hills trail. There will be a good mix of walking in wooded areas with plenty of shade as well as more open areas. But these open areas are anything but boring in that the views shift continuously. Going uphill where the power lines are is by far the most physically challenging stretch. It’s steep and the terrain a bit treacherous. After that we will encounter only smaller hills with better footing.
Bring a lunch—we’ll stop for a picnic along the way. Expect to spend 4-5 hours on this hike.
When: Saturday, September 19 (rain date September 20), at 9:30 a.m.
Where: Green Lakes State Park, Fayetteville. The park has two entrances. NY 290 and NY 5/92. The entrance off of 290 is closer to the parking lot by the beach, which is where we will meet.
What to bring:
- Good hiking shoes
- Insect repellent
- Hiking poles (optional)
This is a moderately challenging hike with some hills, spanning over 9 miles. Please assess your fitness level for meeting the challenges of an extended hike over hilly terrain. Here is a link with additional info: https://cnyhiking.com/NYSP-GreenLakes.htm.
We require that hikers follow all current New York State guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- If you’re not feeling well or know you have recently been in contact with someone who tested positive for COVID-19, please stay home. We’ll look forward to seeing you at a future event.
- Only members of the same household may share a ride.
- You must wear a mask or other face covering that covers your nose and mouth when you are within six feet of someone else.
- Keep your distance from others when walking. Allow other hikers plenty of room to get by. If you are walking next to someone, wear your mask.
- Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. It’s best to use a tissue, but if you don’t have one, use the crook of your elbow.
- Avoid hugging or touching others.
- Bring hand sanitizer and clean your hands frequently.
- Feel free to bring a lunch, but do not share food or drink with anyone outside your own household.
- All hikers must sign in with the group before the hike, including name and contact information.
We look forward to hiking with you!