Join Sacramento pilgrim Roxanne Morgan at the Berkeley North Branch Library for a pilgrim talk about hiking Japan’s version of the Camino de Santiago. The Kumano Kodo, an UNESCO Heritage route, twinned with the Camino de Santiago, is an other-worldly and spiritual pilgrimage through the Kii peninsula, south of Osaka, Japan. Traversed by monks, emperors, kings and pilgrims, it follows temples and Shrines and offers the most spectacular rural landscapes one can imagine. Roxanne has walked this twice (and the Camino seven times) and will talk about ryokans, onsens and the art of bowing and being a pilgrim. Come find out what you need to do to pick up your staff and earn your Dual Pilgrim Compostela.
Speaker Bio: Roxanne Morgan is a professor of World Literature in Sacramento, CA and has walked a pilgrimage every year since 2012 when first introduced to the Camino de Santiago. She has walked the Camino Norte in its entirety, the Primitivo, the Portuguese and many permutations of the Frances both with friends, and on her own. In addition, she has spent two summers working as an hospitalera in albergues, cleaning and cooking for up to 100 peregrinos a night. “I’ve walked with everything on my back; I’ve sent my bags ahead; I’ve camped, slept in albergues, stayed at a Paradores; walked in hundred degree heat and through a typhoon.” She recently started ¡Camina con Amigos! Walk with Friends to help friends bridge the gap between thinking about walking and taking their first step on the Camino de Santiago. Check out www.misschirp.com.
- 5:45 PM – Community room doors open (volunteers welcome to help set up chairs)
- 6:00 PM – Sign-in and socializing
- 6:10 PM – Presentation begins, Q & A follows
- 7:30 PM – Out of the community room (library closes at 8 pm)
REGISTER by 5 PM on Wed. Feb. 19th. Click the Register button above.
- By BART: The North Berkeley BART station is 1 mile away.
- AC Transit: 79, 12, 7, 18, & H
- Driving: For directions, use Google Maps.
- Parking: No parking lot; unmetered street parking is usually available.
- Map/Directions: Google Map and directions.
Questions about this event? Contact us at email@example.com.